Monday, 3 January 2011

The third A...

So, now that we have discussed the first two A's of homemaking (Appearance and Attitude) I have another one for you: A place for everything. OK, it's not so much an A as an O for Organization!  I know it seems like a no-brainer, but it's shocking to me how many people don't grasp the concept of ORDER.  Order must be the first law of the home. Now, I know... mom can quickly get a bad rap for trying to enforce this law! Your attitude will help you out on this one. Teach your children (and husband) to obey this law, don't tell them. It will not happen overnight. It takes time and persistence to change the habits that create disorder into habits that will result in orderliness and neatness. It's every bit as easy to put things where they belong as to throw them over a chair, on the table , or under the rug. It's all a matter of conscious thought, training, and habit.
Some justify their untidiness by claiming "it takes too much time to be neat". They would rather do something creative or fun with their time. It may require a few minutes initially, but in the long run you will be saving buckets of time by not having to hunt for a pencil, car keys, or the other shoe. It takes much longer to set something down just to pick it up and put it away later. Order would come out way ahead in a race with confusion!
I have to tell you that when I finally gained the desire and determination to have a well-ordered house, MAGICAL things began to happen. My husband worked harder (and complained less). My kids were more cooperative and did better in school (because I had more time to help them).When confusion was removed, dispositions improved. Very serious problems have been solved since I decided to make my house a home. I have learned that cleaning is not just for appearance sake. It helps a house run smoothly, saves precious time, and sets the stage for power and accomplishment. Excellence can be achieved when a home reflects tender, loving care.
So here is your challenge for week three: Start by organizing just one closet, or bookshelf, or cabinet. Anything that you feel needs attention. Ahhhh, doesn't that feel better? Keep going until everything in your house has a place and every room has a purpose.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I have been working on this. And it does take less time to be organized!

    ReplyDelete